Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Chicken "ABC" Soup for Me

Last Saturday, as I was preparing to cook my weekend "ABC" soup or better known as chicken stew, it makes me discover something about myself :P

According to my grandma's "ABC" soup recipe, the ingredients are as follows:

  • white pepper seeds

  • chicken drumsticks

  • onions

  • tomatoes

  • carrots

  • potatoes


I remember the exact order of the ingredient which needs to go into the pot of boiling water with pounded white pepper seeds; previously I will need to ask my grandma (whenever she is at my house) to repeat the sequence :P It goes like this: First, dump the onions + tomatoes first and let it boiled - the kick-off is a quick one i.e. wash & cut the onion & tomato into medium size .

Then I can take my own sweet time to peel the skin of carrot & potatoes. Usually I will skip the scraping of carrot's skin (as I am being plain lazy!) and just cut it, then I will proceed with the potatoes. This is the moment I was prompted - upon holding a potato in my palm - deciding whether I should peel the skin off to start.

Although the recipe 'pronouced' it as one of the required ingredient, but I learned that I do not like eating potatoes (excluding the mash version - which mum will buy from nearby KFC whenever we are sick - with no appetite to eat), because it is very filling e.g. like starch. So, it took me a few minutes to decide ...

I think the above scenario pretty much relates to our life ...

In our childhood years, we are given instructions and told to execute what have been instructed. We are told not to question when we asked why should we do it - just do it, or else live with what it takes to disobey, namely the 'CaNe'! Sometimes, we are hardly given any choice, and most of the time, decision is make for us.

As we grow up and start to 'stand on our own feet', we are continuosly posed with challenges in life, which most of the time require us to make our own decision. As for me, I used to be almost indecisive even if I am told to make small decision e.g. when a waiteress comes to ask what I want to eat:P Eventually, I discover that when I learned more about myself e.g. my like & dislike, strength & weeknesses & etc, it is easy to at least make small decision!

So, you should know - at the end - whether I did peel the potato & drop it into the pot or not ;)

0 Babbles:

Post a Comment

<< Home