Thursday, September 15, 2005

2 weeks mark

As days goes by, it has been 2 weeks since I have been here. After all, as I mentioned previously, it was certainly a rushed take off, which left me with no time to research for prior knowledge about the people i.e.Italian whom I am going to mingle around with for 2 months:(

The very 1st Italian word that I learned was ciao which means both hello & goodbye. Later I realized that this word is commonly used as bye while communicating using online messaging tools! To my foolishness, I actually thought that Ciao Giorgia is a person's name while I was reading a cc email; which in actual fact means Hello Giorgia:p

From then onwards, I have make it a point to learn-a-word-a-day, as of carried out during assembly every morning back in secondary school's days;) Don't be surprised at all that I actually picked up most of the Italian wordings at PAM i.e. while shopping for grocery:p Below are some of the most common Italian words - until today - (which a few is very similiar to English) that I have learned:

  • good morning = buon giorno

  • thank you = gratzie

  • excuse me = scusami

  • wait a minute! = aspetta!

  • how much is it? = quanto costa?

  • then = allora

  • hot = caldo

  • cold = freddo

  • salt = sale

  • sugar = zucchero

  • rabbit = coniglio
    (I nearly bought it as hamburger's meat slice:O As the texture was so similiar to of chicken!)

  • chicken = pollo

  • beef = bovino

  • park = parco

  • church = chiesa

  • Saturday = Sabato


FYI, the locals i.e.Italians are genuine Italians, meaning that they only communicate in Italian! One can hardly find an Italian who understand nor speak English:( Thus, foreigner who needs to survive on this land will have to learn their language. As I find out later, children are taught English at 2nd year of primary school i.e. Standard 2. However they do not have the enviroment to practice it, since they converse wholly in Italian!

Personally, I don't think Italian is an easy language. That somehow explained why I went hunting for English novels last Saturday as I was craving for English materials. To my luck, I found this small corner i.e. at the bottom of the shelf at the one of the bookstore outlet (without seeking help from the sales people at the counter:p) which contained about 50+ English books only:( I ended up buying 2 although each cost € 10.50 i.e. about RM 50! Never in my life, I have spent that much to buy a novel:p

0 Babbles:

Post a Comment

<< Home