Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Weather turns CoLD!

Yesterday after work, on my way back to the apartment, I headed to the wet market located next to PAM i.e. local supermarket - fear that it might be closed. Indeed the stalls selling raw meats & fish are all closed, but luckily the fruits & vegetables stalls are still in business! I bought bananas, peaches (lots of varieties & I love it!) & oranges. Then I went over to PAM to pick up a bottle of fresh milk & fruit juice, my favourite broccoli, spaghetti for € 0.22 - it's cheap!, tomato puree, minced marinated beef & Lipton tea bags. The list amounted to only € 7 - it is equivalent to the price of dining out for a proper meal!

Speaking of the locals i.e. Italians being hygenic, while I was picking up the broccoli at PAM, a lady with her hand movements (my remote guardian: it is certainly true that Italians, in general, express themselves through sign languages instead of words!) indicated that I should put on the plastic hand gloves provided to pick up vegetables or fruits instead of using my bare hands! Even at the wet market last Saturday when I was buying fruits, I was told by one of my Asian colleague that I am not supposed to physically touch any of the fruits and examined it!

Although it has been less than a week since I am here, I am already sick of eating out:S Further more, dining in requires a compulsory service charge ranging from € 1 - € 3(until now I am not quite sure how they determine it:p) which is included on the bill - so, definitely no escape! Guess what? I was in the kitchen cooking spaghetti for dinner yesterday night! In fact, I have not been cooking for the past 1/2 year or more. That explains why I got the spaghetti overcooked in the hot pot:)) After all, I get to enjoy some warm food at last!

Today - it is the 6th day since I landed on Venezia, Italy. I sensed the changed of weather i.e. from warm to cold when I stepped out from the office yesterday. The MD here has 'warned' us (those of us who are from Asia Pacific office, where we are used to the warm weather back in Malaysia/Singapore) that cold weather is ahead despite the reported warm weather will persists.

I am putting on warm clothes & stockings, although the locals here are still in their end-summer outift. It makes me feel that I look a little weird - walking on the streets looking a little 'thicker' - as to compare to the others:p But I can't help it when the cold breezes of wind sent chills down my fingers!

I am trying my very best to keep myself warm by consuming hot beverages & water. At the same time, I am advised to take a lot of fruits which is rich in Vitamin C to avoid catching a cold or falling sick. Any other advise from you fellows out there?

2 Babbles:

Blogger Egghead said...

go burn something lor... like your chairs, tables, your clothes to keep warm lor :P
anyway... take good care lah for the next 2 months.. and call back more lor :P
don't make those at home worry too much :P

9:37 AM, September 06, 2005  
Blogger littlegirl said...

U crazy ah! I wear socks & gloves is sufficient:p The chill seems to creeps through my fingers & legs first.

Who said I didn't call back! I didn't call you as calling your hp is so much expensive than calling a fixed line number i.e. house phone:p

12:48 PM, September 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home